Sunday, March 30, 2008

Deliberate Attraction and How to Choose Your Meanings

Want a simple “magic wand” you can wave and deliberately attract desired experiences and outcomes right now? In this moment? Just follow this formula for losing your attachment to meaning.

It’s all an illusion that your daily experiences have inherent meaning anyway. You imbue everything you encounter with meaning – meaning based upon your beliefs, expectations, and past experiences. Meaning which is 100% subjective.

And as you imbue life events with meaning you define their purpose and their power. And their effect on your life. You give them the power to create your reality.

Here are a couple examples of what I’m talking about.

Let’s say you really, really want your spouse to “fix” you. It hurts that he is so uncaring and won’t do the things you want him to. You want to go chasing after him again, forcing him to care about your relationship.


  • One meaning you can give to your reaction to your spouse’s behavior is this: “I’m a sick, hopeless codependent. This emotional pain and turmoil is letting me know that I’ll never get any better. I’m doomed to feel this way forever!”


  • Quite a different meaning you can give to your reaction to your spouse’s behavior is this: “As I well know, the lions roar the loudest when I get close to the temple doors. I must be very close to the emotional freedom I desire to have such an intense reaction to my feelings!”



Or how about an even simpler example. A bill arrives in the mail.

  • One meaning you can give to the bill’s arrival is this: “Shit! Another bill. Screw you, God. It’s always the same thing; just when I was starting to get ahead, there goes all my money!”


  • Quite a different meaning you can give to the bill’s arrival is this: “Thank you! Now I have the opportunity to send money energy to these people, reflecting back to them the value they’ve given to me. I love receiving money, thanks for this chance to be the one who brings them such joy.”



These two examples illustrate how much control we have over our daily experiences when we assign meaning to things. In each example, both meanings are “correct”. Both meanings are easily justified and perfectly plausible; no one would say you are crazy for believing either meaning.

Yet which meaning, between each of the two, will yield you the results you desire?

Stop and think, for a moment, about how you impart meaning into every single incident in your life. No matter how insignificant, you give meaning to everything.

Let go of your attachment to “meaning”. Open your consciousness to this moment and remember that all this, literally, means nothing. Except what you decide it does.

It’s like that disclaimer found in financial services ads, “Past results are not indicative of future performance.” Past results mean nothing! Don’t use them to infuse your daily experiences with meaning. You get to choose the meaning of everything today.

And you can choose to make it positive! I hope you do.

To the God in You,

Greg Kuhn

By the way, if you're interested in learning about the very real science behind the law of attraction and how to manifest abundance, read my lens on Squidoo.

No comments: